Time for a National Mortgage Strike?

Some creative thinkers in Worcester Mass had the right idea last winter —but no carry through at all….I say the time for action is NOW—no more delays, no more hesitation: sock it to the system and “send them a message they’ll never forget”—the people want HONEST currency and an HONEST economy and NO FEDERAL GOVERNMENT WELFARE for individuals OR corporations funded by anything but voluntary contributions from willing private sponsors.

It is gratifying to see I’m not the only person thinking about this.  I would be happy if we could get 10-15% of all mortgage grantors (“borrowers”) to go on a mortgage strike.  Imagine what this would do to the system!  If we could get 25-33% of the population to “strike” (refuse to pay their mortgages until certain key questions were answered), we could definitely change/bring down the phony “monopoly money” system that has dominated this Country, for all intents and purposes, since 1913—the unholy Trinity of the Federal Reserve Banking System, the Income Tax, and Social-Security/Welfare did not immediately destroy the American spirit—it took about 50 years.  Then with the death of Kennedy and the accession of Johnson (which eerily predated by exactly one year the disappearance of Silver currency from circulation [last year for silver dimes, quarters, and half-dollars was 1964], and hence the last element of real “value” in our money), and specifically the institution of Johnson’s Stalinist Five Year Plan known as the “Great Society”—which expanded the Federal Welfare programs beyond New Deal FDR’s or Communist Party Leader (and Roosevelt’s Third Term Vice-President) Henry Agard Wallace’s wildest dreams, the American economy DID die and give way to first Japanese and then Chinese domination in EVERYTHING.

National Mortgage Strike of April 2009

deseeded's picture

February 24, 2009 – 5:35pm — deseeded

92% of Americans are current on their mortgages. Yet we are going to shoulder the other 8% that failed Capitalism 101 where you learn that bad investments are not rewarded…

…Except in America where we are teaching our children that it’s ok to fail…and at the same time we’re showing them how to make it ok to fail by saddling them with hundreds of thousands of dollars of future debt.

Even if you don’t strike, which I know I won’t because I was raised to not spend what I can’t afford and as such, I can afford my mortgage no matter how much I don’t want to…it’s still a cool concept to think about.

Viva la revolucion!

“Government’s view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.” – RR

February 24, 2009 – 5:41pm — terrible_buddhist

terrible_buddhist's picture

Re: National Mortgage Strike of April 2009

So we are going to protest helping people who can’t pay their mortgages…but not paying our mortgage?

THESE are the intelligent people?

Not many people hate the mortgage bailout plan more than I do, but this just seems dumb.

February 24, 2009 – 6:03pm — deseeded

deseeded's picture

Re: National Mortgage Strike of April 2009

They have written this to be a “stimulus” for those who won’t be getting “stimulated” by the actual plan.

If the problem is people not paying, how is letting them to continue not paying for a period of time going to suddenly make them start paying again? If they can’t get current now, they won’t. Banks are already lowering rates rediculously low for those who were bad investors.

On the other hand, I can understand why a bank would not want to write down an interest rate on a person who is not defaulting, because those people are already putting money in to the bank that the bank is losing on those not paying.

However, this problem seems like it could be fixed by not double-porking those who are current.

Why not reward those who are current with access to deferred loans for things like solar panels and other things that will raise the value of their homes? As it stands, we get nothing….in fact, we don’t even get access to that $8k home buyer loan with no repayment extended to all those (not just first timers) buying homes after Jan 1st.

Sadly, I don’t feel entitled to free money, because that’s rediculous…but if you’re handing out my sperm’s college fund to pay for Mr. Fuckass with the 3500sqft house and 60k/yr job….give me something back, ya know? 🙂

And now I’m /ranting.

February 24, 2009 – 6:36pm — Ronaldo

Ronaldo's picture

deseeded wrote:

A-fuckin-men.

blech.

February 24, 2009 – 9:41pm — gigi

gigi's picture

Re: National Mortgage Strike of April 2009

Is this just an idea that’s being floated just to generate discussion, or are there actually people out there who won’t be paying their mortgage in April? As a conversation starter I think it’s a great idea. As a practice, ruining my credit rating to make a point no one in a position of power will “get” or be affected by in any way seems like a profoundly stupid thing to do.

February 24, 2009 – 10:52pm — Louie

Louie's picture

Re: National Mortgage Strike of April 2009

Yeah, we should throw those loafers in concentration camps.

February 25, 2009 – 8:57am — Craiglucantus

Craiglucantus's picture

Re: National Mortgage Strike of April 2009

Your credit score is the most important thing of your financial well being.

“what?”

February 25, 2009 – 10:48am — terrible_buddhist

terrible_buddhist's picture

Louie wrote:

Yeah, we should throw those loafers in concentration camps.

eh…I think Guantanamo will have some openings soon…I mean, as long as they are living off the govt., why not send them to a nice warm place.

February 25, 2009 – 12:23pm — actiongeek

actiongeek's picture

Re: National Mortgage Strike of April 2009

(click to read larger version)

dsquared graphic design

Doug-Cab

February 25, 2009 – 4:19pm — deseeded

deseeded's picture

Re: National Mortgage Strike of April 2009

That’s my favorite Action Geek ever, I think.

February 25, 2009 – 7:01pm — JohnD

JohnD's picture

Louie wrote:

Yeah, we should throw those loafers in concentration camps.

In a perfect world, there’d be no room.

The camps would already be full of politicians and bankers.

And yet, I’ve lived your future out, by pounding stages like a clown

February 25, 2009 – 10:43pm — mscrystallee

mscrystallee's picture

Re: National Mortgage Strike of April 2009

credit scores only matter if you are not rich, if you are rich who needs credit…lol So lets all just become rich

February 26, 2009 – 12:59pm — Craiglucantus

Craiglucantus's picture

Re: National Mortgage Strike of April 2009

rich is a state of mind. just as poor is.

knowledge, hard work, accountability and responsibility determine the former or the latter.

the problem with most american’s is even the rich in the wallet are poor in the mind.

diamond studded trash bags, fur covered homes, dinosaur egg omlettes. there is an obsession with “looking rich” over actually being rich.

February 26, 2009 – 1:55pm — Brendan

Brendan's picture

Re: National Mortgage Strike of April 2009

Chris, I couldn’t agree with you more. I love driving by shithole homes and seeing some souped up ride in the driveway. I understand that people have different priorities, but when your porch is falling off your house and you have a an open air skylight in the roof, the rims on your mustang should be the least of your worries. Everyday i think i hate my fellow man more.

May 6, 2009 – 9:16am — Michalraise

Michalraise's picture

Re: National Mortgage Strike of April 2009

Banks have different percentage or interest.I think banks serves in a very legal way.

May 6, 2009 – 5:54pm — JoeTaco

JoeTaco's picture

Michalraise wrote:

Thats just what I was thi….wait…what?

May 16, 2009 – 5:23pm — Michalraise

Michalraise's picture

Re: National Mortgage Strike of April 2009

Here’s a thought while AIG GM and all the other companies are getting money to not go under how about all the home owners who got a mortgage they can’t afford get some help as well?

2 responses to “Time for a National Mortgage Strike?

1. all it takes is just 11% of the population to pay attention to anything to make a significant change in our society. r