The background to Executive Order 13603 apparently stretches back a full 60 years to President Harry S. Truman’s attempt to take over the U.S. Steel Industry—back then Presidents were not allowed to seize private property without due process of law, and there was no Secretary of Homeland Security at all….
Well, Jerry Hodge of Claremont, California set me right and I have to temper what I wrote earlier: many of the executive orders which seem most oppressive are actually almost as old as I am, which is to say a suitable subject for archaeological research…. Turns out that the list of Legislative Decrees promulgated as Executive Orders that I published just a few hours ago does not belong exclusively to OBAMA at all, the oldest listed goes back to John F. Kennedy…
This brings up a very important point—just ten years earlier than the earliest executive order listed here, in Youngstown Sheet & Tube v. Sawyer, decided June 2, 1952: 06-02-1952 Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co v Sawyer 343 US 579 72 SCt 363 SCOTUS May-June 1952, see also 05-03-1952 Petition for Writ of Certiorari in Youngstown Sheet & Tube Company by John W Davis et al
Anyhow, in 1952, the Supreme Court say that Legislation was still the province of Congress….what happened? Well, first Earl Warren and then Warren Burger spent the next twenty years bolstering the power of the Executive Branch AND the Judicial Branch OVER the legislative, for one thing…
More from “The Mad Jewess” (rapidly becoming one of my favorite fellow, or I suppose I should say “sister” bloggers in the world):
Obama Has Signed Dictatorial & Tyrannical Executive Orders. He MUST Be Stopped.
De : Jerry Hodge
À : ‘Charles Lincoln’
Envoyé le : Dimanche 30 septembre 2012 14h48
Objet : RE: The Dictatorship of the Proletariat, by Barack Hussein Obama
Weren’t these orders issued by Kennedy or other Presidents?
How’d you know that? By the NUMBER? I’m very impressed and will correct my own post shortly—-thank you very much! How have you been recently? It’s STILL government by decree or dictatorship, no matter WHO entered the orders, but, Thank you for setting the record straight…. Anyhow—I appreciate the feedback…. And am always happy to acknowledge I was wrong and leaped to a conclusion without looking first….
Exec. Order No. 10990, 27 FR 1065
REESTABLISHING THE FEDERAL SAFETY COUNCIL
February 2, 1962
WHEREAS section 33(c) of the Federal Employees’ Compensation Act, as amended (5 U.S.C. 784), declared it to be the purpose of the Congress to reduce the number of accidents and injuries among Government officers and employees, encourage safe practices, eliminate work hazards and health risks, and reduce compensable injuries; and
WHEREAS section 35 of that Act, as amended (5 U.S.C. 785), further disclosed the interest of the Congress in the promotion of safety in Federal agencies and establishments; and
WHEREAS the Federal Employees’ Compensation Act, as amended and as modified by Reorganization Plan No. 19 of 1950 (hereinafter referred to as the Act), directs the heads of Government departments and agencies to develop, support, and foster organized safety promotion, and to keep such records of injuries and accidents to persons covered by the Act, and to make such statistical and other reports upon such forms as the Secretary of Labor may prescribe; and
WHEREAS the preponderance of accidents involving employees in the Federal service occur in field operations, the heads of executive departments and agencies, and through them, their supervisory staffs, including regional and field staffs, must exert leadership in the establishment of a sound accident prevention program at both the national and regional level; and
WHEREAS representatives of Federal employees should share a similar concern for the establishment of such programs; and
WHEREAS the President is authorized by the Act to establish by Executive order a safety council composed of representatives of Government departments and agencies to serve as an advisory body to the Secretary of Labor in furtherance of the safety program carried out by the Secretary pursuant to section 33 of the Act and to undertake such other measures as he deems proper to prevent injuries and accidents to persons covered by the Act:
NOW, THEREFORE, by virtue of the authority vested in me by section 33(c) of the Act and as President of the United States, it is hereby ordered as follows:
SECTION 1. Establishment of Council. There is hereby established in the Department of Labor the Federal Safety Council, hereinafter referred to as the Council. The Council shall be composed of a Chairman, to be designated by the Secretary of Labor, and one qualified representative of each of the several executive departments and agencies and of the municipal government of the District of Columbia (hereinafter referred to as members). The heads of the departments and agencies and the Board of Commissioners of the District of Columbia shall designate the members representing them, respectively, and may also designate suitable alternate members. The Secretary of Labor may, as he deems appropriate, appoint representatives of national or international unions, having Federal employees as members, to serve as consultants to the various committees established by the Council. The Chairman, members, alternate members, and consultants shall serve, as such, without compensation from the United States.
SEC. 2. Purpose and functions of Council. The Council shall serve in an advisory capacity to the Secretary of Labor in matters relating to the safety of civilian employees of the Federal government and the municipal government of the District of Columbia and the furtherance of the safety program carried out by the Secretary pursuant to section 33 of the Act. It shall advise the Secretary of Labor with respect to the development and maintenance of adequate and effective safety organizations and programs in the several departments and agencies of the Federal government and the municipal government of the District of Columbia and with respect to criteria, standards, and procedures designed to eliminate work hazards and health risks and to prevent injuries and accidents in Federal employment.
SEC. 3. Council affiliates, committees, and officers. The Council shall include as an integral part of its organizational structure and operations such affiliates, hereafter established by the Council or now existing, in such manner and to such extent as it deems necessary properly and efficiently to perform its functions. The Council shall establish such committees, and may choose such officers (other than its chairman), as it finds necessary for carrying out its functions.
SEC. 4. Regulations. The Secretary of Labor shall prescribe appropriate regulations governing the activities and functions of the Council.
SEC. 5. Administrative and budgetary arrangements. The Secretary of Labor shall make available necessary office space and furnish the Council necessary equipment, supplies, and staff services.
SEC. 6. Continuity
. The Federal Safety Council established by this order shall be deemed to constitute a continuation of the Federal Safety Council heretofore existing under the provisions of Executive Order No. 10194
of December 19, 1950.
THE WHITE HOUSE,February 2, 1962.
abuse of power,Executive Order 10990,Executive Order 10995,Executive Order 10997,Executive Order 11000,Executive Order 11001,Executive Order 11002,Executive Order 11003,Executive Order 11004,Executive Order 11005,Executive Order 11049,Executive Order 11051,Executive Order 11310,Executive Order 11921,Obama Has Signed Dictatorial & Tyrannical Executive Orders. He MUST Be Stopped
I received this list in my email last night. What is it going to take to stop the madness? This is anti-American. A President is not supposed to rule by executive orders. He is supposed to protect us from enemies; foreign and domestic. But, he is the enemy that is foreign and also a domestic enemy.
We never hear about this massive abuse of power on Faux News, MSNBC, CNN, ABC, CBS, etc.
Why were executive orders that GWB signed not ok and this is OK? Where are the ‘classical’ Libertarians? Seems they are missing in action. Ditto fake Conservatives who think that God is ‘blessing’ America.
LOOK at the list, dammit. STOP arguing with me and look at your freedoms diminishing, daily. A poster that used to come here saw ‘nothing nefarious’ with this abuse of power, below.. She had to be insane. And worse: she was a Jew. Imagine a psycho-moonbat Jew being FOR executive orders…
- Executive Order 10990 allows the Government to take over all modes of transportation and control of highways and seaports.
- Executive Order 10995 allows the government to seize and control the communication media.
- Executive Order 10997 allows the government to take over all electrical power, gas, petroleum, fuels, and minerals.
- Executive Order 11000 allows the government to mobilize civilians into work brigades under government supervision.
- Executive Order 11001 allows the government to take over all health education and welfare functions.
- Executive Order 11002 designates the Postmaster General to operate a national registration of all persons.
- Executive Order 11003 allows the government to take over all airports and aircraft, including commercial aircraft.
- Executive Order 11004 allows the Housing and Finance Authority to relocate and establish new locations for populations.
- Executive Order 11005 allows the government to take over railroads, inland waterways, and public storage facilities.
- Executive Order 11049 assigns emergency preparedness function to federal departments and agencies, consolidating 21 operative Executive Orders issues over a fifteen-year period.
- Executive Order 11051 specifies the responsibility of the Office of Emergency Planning and gives authorization to put all Executive Orders into effect in times of increased international tensions and economic or financial crisis.
- Executive Order 11310 grants authority to the Department of Justice to enforce the plans set out in Executive Orders, to institute Industrial support, to establish judicial and legislative liaison, to control all aliens, to operate penal and correctional institutions, and to advise and assist the President.
- Executive Order 11921 allows the Federal Emergency Preparedness Agency to develop plans to establish control over the mechanisms of production and distribution of energy sources, wages, salaries, credit, and the flow of money in U.S. financial institutions in any undefined national emergency. It also provides that when the president declares a state of emergency, Congress cannot review the action for six months.
PLEASE STOP THE DICTATOR.