Should our Children learn the Religion of Love?

A Conversation on the meaning of Easter and Christian Love on Easter Sunday, 31 March 2013

My friends, on this most Holy day I have a few questions. I’ve had a wonderful Easter dinner with my children – the most beautiful beings God has created. I thank God for them every day. Although, we have given reverence to Jesus, I wonder, in the current climate, if that my children should be learning the religion of love. Let me know your thoughts, my friends.
Unlike ·  · Share
  • You and 4 others like this.
  • Paul Hausser Absolutely.
    20 hours ago · Like · 1
  • Kalel Jorelson Consider Song III of an old poem called simply “Hell”. Song III describing the words of an inscription, above the entrance, the portal if you will, to that realm or alternative parallel dimension, darker than any we among the living can easily know: “through me the way to the sorrowful city, through me the path of unending sorrow, through me go all the lost people. Justice moved my maker in heaven, Supreme power made me, the Highest Wisdom—and Primal Love”—OK Full stop there. Primal love made Hell? If Justice and Wisdom and Power conjoin with Love to make Hell…. then Love is a many splendored thing indeed. “Love” as understood in 1 Corinthians 13
    20 hours ago · Like · 2
  • Kalel Jorelson “Love” as understood in 1 Corinthians 13 is not merely a bland or blind acceptance and approval of everything we see in the world. Jesus never taught us to love demons or evil acts. The question came up in the Easter Sermon this afternoon whether Jesus loved Judas. In that particular poem called “Hell”—Judas Iscariot can be found farthest from God side by side with Marcus Junius Brutus in the deepest and coldest spot of “Dis”–Farthest from God, in the part of Hell reserved for traitors. We don’t actually know whether that’s entirely fair, because there is evidence in the Bible of a certain “plan of self-destruction” as some one said in a movie once.
    20 hours ago · Like · 1
  • Kalel Jorelson But “Primal Love”—does involve judgment. You are surely blessed to spend your Easter Sunday with God’s most beautiful beings. But remember what Jesus said about such children: “But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh! Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire.”
    20 hours ago · Like · 1
  • Kalel Jorelson That’s from Matthew 18. A similar passage is Matthew 10:34-39
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household.
    He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.
    20 hours ago · Like · 1
  • Kalel Jorelson Understood in these terms, in the terms of Jesus’ teaching, I think that there is no greater gift you can give your children than to teach them the way of Christ’s Cross. But that is just my opinion…..
    20 hours ago · Like · 1
  • Paul Hausser That was quite solid.
  • Debby Rae Sorry, but this is not a holy day, it’s a world’s holiday…was a pagan Ishtar (goddess of fertility and sex) holiday and as usual everything intermingled with the good. I don’t recognize worldly “holidays”. COME OUT OF HER MY PEOPLE.
    20 hours ago · Like · 3
  • Debby Rae Religion is death….it’s manmade. Jesus is life and the world doesn’t know him and doesn’t want to.
    20 hours ago · Like · 3
  • Tether Berrey But Ellyn thank God everyday for your Kids! Jesus dies and Rose and Its ressurection Sunday no mater what. Easter is pagan like Debby Rae said and I personally dont go to the false church but Holidays does bring our families together. You are blessed with them Ellyn! And Im glad you had a blessed day with them.
    19 hours ago · Like · 2
  • Kalel Jorelson I can’t quite tell where you’re coming from with the first part of this statement. I would obviously agree with you that “Jesus is Life and the world doesn’t know him and [certainly most of the world] doesn’t want to.” By discussing the question I think we here writing obviously do want to….Where exactly do you get the idea that Easter or even the Spring Equinox was ever the day of Ishtar? In one of my own parallel lives I studied archaeology, especially the archaeology of Ancient Mesopotamia as one of my specialties, and except for the very general connexion between Spring and Fertility I know of no particular association between Ishtar and any holiday that ever became Easter (which is set as the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Vernal Equinox). I know that there have been a lot of attempts to reduce all world religions to a single common denominator but I don’t think you can reject Easter JUST because it’s set very generally to equate with Passover and hence with other Spring Fertility rites. Ishtar cannot, for example, be equated with Anglo-Saxan Aostra or Germanic Ostara and her fields of bunnies frolicking under the Spring moon—not that I find either of those image just horribly ugly or anything…. If your main point is that the phrase “the Religion of Love” is too easily confused with “the Worship of Sex and Fertility”–then I would agree with you, this is one of the chief problems facing the modern world….
    19 hours ago · Like · 3
  • Ellyn Trayne My deal Kalel, I do throw things out there in the ether, and you never disappoint.
    19 hours ago · Like · 1
  • Kalel Jorelson Well, thank you—it is has been a very intense Easter all around.
    19 hours ago · Like · 1
  • Ellyn Trayne I look forward to future discourse, dear sir.
  • Kalel Jorelson   All but guaranteed I should think….and only “all but” because there are simply no guarantees we can really make in this mad, mad world. Except this—that I think that it is very very hard to go wrong teaching your children the words and love of Jesus Christ. Even then and there, I guess some people have gone wrong with his words and love—which is why you asked the question in the first place. But it is very difficult….
    18 hours ago · Like · 2
  • Debby Rae The only real way to teach is by them seeing our actions and not our words. Wish I knew what I know now then.